Friday, July 24, 2009

My Favorite Summer Movies


So today is a petty dreary day here at the shore, lots and lots or rain. I’m longing for a nice dry summer day or at least top watch a movie where one is shown.
The Notebook
: I hadn’t watched the notebook in about three years until last week. There was just a little too much Notebook over kill for me. The three years that I spent living in dorms just about every girl on my floor owned the dvd and I was definitely envied because I had the movie theatre size poster framed in my room. So, last week thinking about summer and love and whatever I put it in and realized that this movie is so loved, because it’s great. Okay so you’re saying, "The Notebook is a summer movie?" It sure is! At the heart of the story is the environment that allowed Allie (Rachel McAdams) and Noah (Ryan Gosling) to find each other despite their very different worlds. PS:
I read today on PerezHilton.com that actress/singer/songwriter Bethany Joy Galeotti (a.k.a. Haley from "One Tree Hill") is casting a musical theatre version of The Notebook in North Carolina (where "OTH" is filmed). She’s a great artist, but the musical versions of Legally Blonde and The Wedding singer (both equally as big as Notebook in their own rights) didn’t last very long on Broadway in even better economic times. But we’ll hope for the best…
Now and Then
: I’ve had "Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me…" stuck in my head for about two weeks and I can’t get my hand on a copy of Now and Then and it’s driving me nuts. Now and Then is about a lot of different things, old friends, coming of age, the 60’s, but like The Notebook the environment of summer allows all of these themes to come to ahead.
I grew up an only child in a quiet street during a time when kids didn’t really knock in their friends doors without "play dates" and I at times longed to grow up in a huge development like my Mom and her four siblings did during the 50’s and 60’s. I wasn’t there (clearly) when my Mom was growing up, but Now and Then definitely captures the essence of her stories.
If you haven’t seen it:
Now and Then is about four best friends (the younger versions of Melanie Griffith, Rose O’Donnell, Demi Moore, and Rita Wilson) and the adventures that they have during the last summer before their relationships changed. Now and Then features a ghost story/murder mystery and a great soundtrack, but most importantly, a story that anyone whose left home and returned can easily relate to. As I sit looking at the pictures on my desk of myself with my three best friends since middle school, I really understand the core of this movie, that once you find people that get you, even though you may change or get separated over time, that those people will always be a part of you. So if you haven’t seen it, watch it and if you have seen it, re-watch it then call (don’t text) your best friend (then lend me your dvd).

1 comment:

  1. Now and Then is a great movie!! The story the friendship is just told so beautifully.. You really feel a connection to the characters, like they were Sex and The City before all the Labels and Sex... so tru Katie...

    ReplyDelete